[erlang-questions] Is mnesia fit to over TB data handling?

Ewan Higgs ewan_higgs@REDACTED
Fri May 11 10:26:48 CEST 2007

I think this study will be of interest to you:

http://erlang-consulting.com/thesis/dbms_eval.html

It discusses the scalability limitations of Mnesia and
investigates alternatives. Here are some relevant
bits:

"However, it is rather limited in its storage
capabilities. Mnesia tables can only store 4 GB in the
32-bit implementation. Therefore, if a system has
larger storage requirements than this, like the track
and trace systems which continually grow over time,
Mnesia is not a valid choice. 4 GB of data is not a
large amount of data, so Erlang developers must find a
way to meet these system requirements."

"Conclusion: The results show that Ingres would be the
best to use in conjunction with Erlang based on the
criterion in the study found through the survey of the
Erlang Community. However, there are obviously a
number of other considerations to make before making
the final choice. For instance what performance level
we desire and also what licensing limitations the
database management system."

Kind regards,
Ewan

--- Masayuki TAKAGI <masayuki.takagi@REDACTED>