[erlang-questions] large objects in dets

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Thu May 10 09:23:01 CEST 2007

I'd like to store large objects in a persistent disk store.

Dets is "almost" ok.

Dets is a key-value store - but there will be problems if the value is
large (think a 4 Gbyte movie)

What I need is an interface that allows random access of large values

   dets:reserve_space_for_key(LargeKey, 2000000000)    reserve 2 GB
   dets:store(LargeKey, Start, <<bin>>)
   dets:lookup(largeKey, Start, Len) -> <<bin>>

Now I know that dets does not do this now.

Now the questions

   - to those of you who have hacked dets - is this an easy extension to dets?
   - should I hack dets?
   - should I "roll-my-own"
   - has anybody already made a large object disk storage thingy

/Joe