[erlang-questions] process dictionary, anyone?

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Wed May 2 11:10:23 CEST 2007

On 5/2/07, Mats Cronqvist <mats.cronqvist@REDACTED> wrote:
>  > We might as well then just add erlang like processes to Java and be done with.
>
>    i'm convinced that soon enough a java-like language (javascript?) will
> incorporate erlang-style processes/message passing. and then erlang will, i
> fear, indeed be done.
> C.f. http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2007/02/next-big-language.html

Scala almost does - their actors library is actually modeled after
Erlang's processes. The "only" missing part is a runtime to actually
give the same characteristics as the beam runtime. [the quotes are
meaning that I am aware that it would be a huge undertaking; but given
the increasing incentives to deliver such a beast, I'd say it may not
be too far away in the future]

I wonder what would be easier: to port the Erlang runtime to the JVM,
or to write a compiler for a Java-like language targeting the beam
runtime?

regards,
Vlad