[erlang-questions] Restarting processes

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Thu Mar 29 12:14:40 CEST 2007

I made an extended process registry a while ago,
called proc:

http://jungerl.cvs.sourceforge.net/jungerl/jungerl/lib/proc/

Here's the edoc manual:
http://jungerl.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/jungerl/jungerl/lib/proc/d
oc/proc.html?revision=1.1

It allows processes to register under several different
names, and the names don't have to be atoms. It also
allows processes to register "properties", which do
not have to be unique.

Properties can be used for a very simple publish-
subscribe pattern that would work in your case.

The subscriber publishes a property, and the publisher
folds over a given property and e.g. sends a message to
each process.

Example:

demux.erl

subscribe() ->
   proc:add_property(property()).

notify(Event) ->
    proc:fold_properties(
        fun({_Prop, Pid}, _Acc) ->
            Pid ! {self(), ?MODULE, Event}
        end, [], property()).

property() -> {?MODULE, subscriber}.

As the subscriber property is registered with the
subscriber process, and not kept by the publisher,
it remains even if the publisher is restarted.

An added bonus with the pattern is that properties
become sort of a public registry of characteristics
and dependencies of properties - a process index,
which can be extremely helpful during debugging.

We've been using this solution in our products for
a while, and it has led to a radical simplification
of the code. It turned out that this was a pervasive
pattern in our applications, e.g. releasing all
calls associated with a given signaling channel;
identifying all processes involved in a given
call setup; etc.

BR,
Ulf W