[erlang-questions] How small could an Erlang emulator be?

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Tue Mar 13 14:57:50 CET 2007

Hi,

On 3/13/07, Thomas Lindgren <thomasl_erlang@REDACTED> wrote:

> --- Kenneth Lundin <kenneth.lundin@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> > So if we are interested in the minimal footprint of
> > todays
> > implementation (or something derived from that) I
> > think it is the
> > memory limitations of the general purpose processor
> > (ARM) that is
> > interesting.
>
> For the record, I for one wouldn't mind running Erlang
> on my cellphone ...
And I don't think it would be any problem to do that with the current
implementation.
We know that it is possible to run the Erlang VM plus applikations in
32 Mbytes or less and for sure you can find a Cellphone that has
memory capacity above that.

The missing thing for Erlang is a good binding to the Graphics on a
Phone (and elsewhere). Otherwise we would have tried it already. I
think Erlang has
ideal characteristics for implementing the functions necessary on a
Cell phone and Handheld computer.

/Kenneth