[erlang-questions] regexp sux!

Torbjorn Tornkvist tobbe@REDACTED
Sat Mar 10 14:00:33 CET 2007

Mats Cronqvist wrote:
>    but i guess the question was really about how to get regexp groups/submatches
> to work. AFAIK, in that respect regexp is completely brain dead. i use the
> gregexp code by pascal brisset.
>
>  > gregexp:groups(XX,".*encoding=\"\\([A-Z0-9-]+\\)\".*").
> {match,["ISO-8859-1"]}

That's more like it !

I haven't tried Gaspar Chilingarov regexp lib but I assume
it is very good too. So why do we have this worthless
regexp library in OTP? I have never been able to use it
in any useful way!

I suggest that regexp in OTP is thrown out in favor of
one of the other available regexp libraries!
(or at least make it depreciated and bring in a useful alternative)

Cheers, Tobbe