[erlang-questions] final year university project with erlang?

Tim Fletcher twoggle@REDACTED
Tue Mar 6 12:08:56 CET 2007

Hi Folks,

I'm currently on a work placement, but in October i'll be starting my
final year at university. As part of my course (Computer Science BSc)
i'll need to do a project - we can either pick one from those
suggested by the department, or we can submit a "student defined"
project. The suggestions aren't very inspiring, so I was wondering
whether anyone here had any ideas for something I could do involving
Erlang?

Given my degree level, the project has to be of the "lifecycle"
variety, which has following "criteria":

    BCS/IEE accreditation requires a project that: follows a lifecycle
that can be
    characterised as requirements-design-build-evaluate; describes and evaluates
    the method(s) used to design, build and evaluate.
    These projects do not have to be traditional engineering, but must
have, describe,
    and evaluate a recognised method.
    All lifecycle projects should aim to build or implement something,
and to evaluate
    its quality and reliability etc.

AFAIK the project can be run in conjunction with a company, or it
could be something that could help the community.

My experience so far has been mostly Ruby/Python (in my own time), and
Java/Windows programming during my placement. I've only really had a
quick play with Erlang, but would rather get to know it a bit better,
and I think this could be a good opportunity to do so.

Apologies if this is slightly off-topic - please feel free to email me
off the list.