[erlang-questions] Programming Erlang on Pragmatic Bookshelf

jm jeffm@REDACTED
Mon Mar 5 03:28:39 CET 2007

Joe Armstrong wrote:
> Yes
>
> It was supposed to be announced next Tuesday but ...
>
> You may have noticed that I haven't been posting much here, currently all hobby
> projects are on-hold.
>
> The book is now in Beta (following the usual Pragmatic Publishing
> cycle) - this means
> the book is 70% ready - the last four chapters are still to be
> written, and I can change
> stuff before it's too late.

Hope this means your still able to accept comments:

Section 1.7 Floating Point Numbers, P23
Good to see that you mention,

When you divide two integers the result is automatically converted to a
floating point number.

Could you add something about integer operations here as in took me ages
to find the "div" operator when I first made the mistake of integer /
integer expecting an integer return type.

I liked section 5.5 "How Long Does it Take to Create a Process" same may
find it hard to believe processes can be spawned so cheaply. After all
seeing in believing.

I'm hoping that there's plenty of examples, some more advanced as it
gets into the OTP chapters, good coverage of debugging and how style can
help with this, packaging for distribution and hot-code updating as
well. I'm looking forward to reading the Mnesia chapters as that is a
module I'm using a lot at the moment which I understand, but am not sure
I have the right style of writing for or am getting the most out of.

Needless to say this has just jumped to the top of my books to buy list.

An open question is: Who's going to write the next must have Erlang book?

Now where's that credit card....

Jeff.
ps digg it:
http://digg.com/programming/Pragmatic_Erlang_book_Erlang_is_their_new_Ruby