[erlang-questions] [Erlyaws-list] String Support, The most needed feature

orbitz@REDACTED orbitz@REDACTED
Sat Mar 3 21:54:24 CET 2007

I'm not sure if Erlang is necessarily lacking anything in the string
department, but the problem is probably based more around how to
actually deal with strings.  In many popular language (not Haskell
has the same concept of strings that Erlang does, for the most part),
accessing an element of a string is O(1) but in Erlang it is O(n). To
me this means that when you do things with strings you are generally
going to have to do them in terms of tail ends.  What I mean by this
is in Python you mind do idx = mystring.find(foo)  And you get an idx
and go there and work with it.  In Erlang this would become mylist =
find(mystring, foo), and find would return the remaining list so you
can work across the string.
This has the most obvious problem of not allowing you to go backwards
through the string, so you can't find things prior to some landmark
you are working for.

That said, I do sometimes think perhaps a container that has O(1)
random access time might be nice in Erlang.  In Haskell we have Array
which works wonderful for those situations.  In Erlang the closest we
have is a Binary which is limited to bytes as far as I can tell so I
wouldn't call it a true container.

So the conclusion I'm trying to reach is, Erlang doesn't need a
string layer, it needs a new container for these kind of situations.