[erlang-questions] network outage recovery

Philip Robinson chlorophil@REDACTED
Wed Jun 27 16:44:48 CEST 2007

Hi Garry.

I have a similar setup to yours, where compute processes send a master
process a 'ready' message to let the master know they are available
for a task.  They send another 'ready' message each time they have
completed that task.

I get around the problem of network failures/master process failure by
using an 'after' clause in my compute processes' 'receive' blocks.  If
they haven't had a request from the master in some time they send
another 'ready' message.

On the master's side, each time it picks up a 'ready' message to send
a compute process a task, it firstly uses another 'receive' block loop
to flush out any duplicate 'ready' messages from that process.  This
avoids having the master send multiple tasks to the one compute
process while it is already working on a task.

This is just how I evolved my code and may not count as a 'best
practice'.  I am planning on rewriting it all soon to take advantage
of all those OTP behaviours.

Hope this helps,
Philip