[erlang-questions] Question about receive

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Tue Jun 26 22:37:57 CEST 2007

There are two common ways to do it:

make_ref() returns a unique reference (of type reference)

erlang:monitor(process, P) also returns a reference, and starts a
monitor on process P. If P dies, the monitoring process will receive a
message, {'DOWN', Reference, process, P, Reason}. Very handy, and
used, e.g. in gen_server:call() to match a reply to the corresponding
request, and monitor the server at the same time.

BR,
Ulf W