[erlang-questions] gen_tcp:accept use within a gen_fsm process

igwan igwan@REDACTED
Mon Jun 25 13:41:48 CEST 2007

Hello list,

I'm writing a small TCP test application. I want each TCP connection to
be handled by one gen_fsm process. I could have one 'acceptor' process
calling gen_tcp:accept, then spawning a gen_fsm for each accepted
incoming connection. But in the doc, I read that, since a recent version
of Erlang/OTP, I can have any number of processes waiting in a
gen_tcp:accept call, so I wouldn't need the acceptor process anymore. My
question is about best practice. Where would you call gen_tcp:accept in
the gen_fsm module ? Into the init/1 function ? Like this :

-module(tcptest_fsm).
-behaviour(gen_fsm).

init([Listen_socket] = Args) ->
    {ok, Socket} = gen_tcp:accept(Listen_socket),
    {ok, conn_accepted_state, SD}.

I'm not very confident about puting such a blocking call at the init
phase as the process wouldn't be initialized until a connection arrives
and thus not supervised (Am I right ?).
Or maybe the new possibility offered by gen_tcp:accept wasn't intended
for use within a OTP system ?

Thanks for your help.

igwan