[erlang-questions] generators/iterators

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Mon Jun 18 10:07:39 CEST 2007

--- Damien Morton <dmorton@REDACTED> wrote:

> Im new to Erlang - so its just that - a guess. But
> ... when I imagine
> what the machinery for a message send is, compared
> to what I know the
> machinery for a function call is, at last in broad
> strokes, if a fun
> call isnt faster, it should be.

(Granted, this is not central to your point but I like
implementation issues.)

Normally, yes, but message passing can (at least in
principle, at least sometimes) be optimized into
something pretty close to a function call. This area
is still in the research stage, but here is an example
of how to do it:

Profile-guided optimization across process boundaries.
E. Johansson, S.-O. Nyström.
In ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on Dynamic and Adaptive
Compilation (Dynamo'00). Jan 18, 2000.
http://user.it.uu.se/~happi/hipe/oapb_dynamo.ps

Best,
Thomas