[erlang-questions] I need to call unexported functions from theerlang shell

David Mercer <>
Fri Jun 15 19:10:40 CEST 2007

> Would it be any less icky to create a new BIF to work around the
> problem?
>     erlang:apply(Function::atom(), Args::list(term()))
> ... where Function must be in the caller's module and thus can act
> like any function in a module calling any other function in that
> module?  Then each source module would have added (via -include() or
> whatever) one more exported function:
>     trap_door(Function, Args) ->
>         erlang:apply(Function, Args).

Forgive my ignorance as I am new to Erlang, but why is a new BIF required?
Can you not just export the trap_door function in any module you want the
trap door?  This does not require any new BIF as apply can already take two