[erlang-questions] I need to call unexported functions from the erlang shell

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Fri Jun 15 11:23:58 CEST 2007

--- Claes Wikström <klacke@REDACTED> wrote:

> Kenneth Lundin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't really understand why there is a big need
> for Luke to call
> > local functions
> > from the shell during debugging of a live system?
> >

> I sympathize with Luke here. Debugging live systems,
> being able
> to call non exported functions from the shell is
> often ... well
> necessary.

Fully agreed on the practicalities, and adding a
'%preserved' or generating a module_info-like function
for the same functionality is straightforward, but
does it in practice fix anything substantial beyond
adding +export_all in the makefiles?

As far as I can tell, it _does_ fix one minor thing,
apply can't directly call unexported functions, and it
also makes the module interface look tidier. I'm not
sure that's enough for me to become enthusiastic; I'd
like more bang per buck. Am I missing something?

Best,
Thomas