[erlang-questions] how to do faster integer operations (was: some language changes)

Jason Dusek jsnx@REDACTED
Fri Jun 8 00:42:53 CEST 2007

On 6/7/07, Paul Mineiro <paul-trapexit@REDACTED> wrote:
> Wrt the straightforward answer, port and linked-in driver actually had
> worse performance than straight Erlang with hipe.  So it's not clear how
> to do it in C while maintaining a desirable job, except maybe to write
> a new BIF which I couldn't find any documentation on (and I assume is
> generally discouraged).
>
> By the way, is it expected that the port and linked-in driver versions
> would be slower than native Erlang with hipe?  I was guessing it's
> because the C executes in circa 100ns so communication overhead was
> dominating.

Well, what if you wrote the hashing function as a list operation and
passed a *list* to C -- then that would be way faster... Is there any
reason not to do that?

--
_jsn