[erlang-questions] how to do faster integer operations (was: some language changes)

Paul Mineiro paul-trapexit@REDACTED
Thu Jun 7 08:36:28 CEST 2007

I setup IA32 and IA64 chroots on the same box, and ran the benchmark.
I get almost a 20x improvement (!).  Unfortunately the erlang version is
slightly different (testing vs. sarge), but nonethless I'm assuming this
is due to boxing differences.

On my original problem (which I cannot post for IP reasons), I get about
a 10x improvement putting the performance about 2x worse than Haskell using
Word32 and about 10x worse than native C, but still far better than 100x
worse than native C.

It's been a good lesson to discover that using less than the full machine
width for integers leads to significant speed up.  Is there a FAQ for
performance where this kind of knowledge is accumulated?

Thanks everybody for the assistance,

-- p

[ This machine is faster than the previous one I was using, btw, which
is why the original benchmark is about 2.5x faster than what I reported
originally. ]

pmineiro@REDACTED% erl                                                  ~/tmp
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.5.2 [source] [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.5.2  (abort with ^G)
1> c (megahash, [ native, o2 ]).
{ok,megahash}
2> megahash:benchmark ().
361384

pmineiro@REDACTED% erl                                                   ~/tmp
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.5.4 [source] [64-bit] [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.5.4  (abort with ^G)
1> c (megahash, [ native, o2 ]).
{ok,megahash}
2> megahash:benchmark ().