[erlang-questions] Blog: Erlang Fractal Benchmark

Jim Menard jim.menard@REDACTED
Tue Jun 5 04:12:19 CEST 2007

On 6/4/07, Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) <ulf.wiger@REDACTED> wrote:

> I ran it on my machine, which scored a miserable
> 4.2 seconds. Adding is_float/1 guards around all
> variables that are floats (quite a few) and
> compiling with native brought it down to 1.8 secs.

It sped up my version considerably as well. Why is that? I thought
that a guard clause was only used to select which function clause to
run. How does checking to see if something is a float make things
faster instead of slowing it down by having to execute is_float/1 for
each call?