[erlang-questions] some language changes

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Mon Jun 4 16:08:56 CEST 2007

Hi,

On 6/4/07, James Hague <james.hague@REDACTED> wrote:
> {Hours, Rest1} = parse_integer(L),
> Rest2 = parse_char(Rest1, $:),

How would you replace Rest1 and Rest2 with simply Rest, and also let
the runtime know that in the second case you really want a fresh
variable, not to match against the old one?

Or maybe I misunderstood?

The point I try to make is that if this is to work (in any language),
one would need to have a way to tell apart an assignment from a match.
It's not obvious to me that solving that issue would give more
readable code than the standard Erlang one (at least not without
changing the paradigm).

best regards,
Vlad