[erlang-questions] JavaScript compiler for Erlang

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Sat Jul 14 00:32:42 CEST 2007

Implementing languages is fun!

After doing Erlog (Prolog in and for Erlang), which you can find on
trapexit, we were building a new webpage for our project at work and the
platform we decided to use was written in PHP (as so many are). I then
thought that if you wrote a PHP interpreter in Erlang then you could
easily and efficiently integrate into Yaws for example and get the best
of both worlds. So I started looking at PHP.

Now PHP sucks in many ways, the syntax for example is a right mess. But
apart from that it doesn't seem too difficult. The main problem is
probably doing all the libraries. PHP has one advantage in that you
generate HTML so you don't really need any windowing interfaces.

I see now that perhaps I should start with Javascript. However, I have
not really looked at the language but I can't imagine that there could
any real problems.

I would say that it should not be too difficult to interpret/compile
almost any language as long as it does have its own windowing interface.
Whether it's really worth it is another question. But as I said
"implementing languages is fun". :-)

Robert