[erlang-questions] Number of tcp/ip connections

Oscar Hellström oscar@REDACTED
Thu Jul 12 10:44:10 CEST 2007

selva rani wrote:
> Hi ,
>   I am using Windows 2003.
>
> Thanks,
> Rani

Sorry, I got the impression that the actual server was running something
else since you said it also started to behave as described after
changing the registry values.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience of this kind of tweaking on
Windows 2003. You should look for the maximum number of open files ad
sockets though.

> On 7/11/07, Oscar Hellström <oscar@REDACTED> wrote:
>>
>> selva rani wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >       I am running a server application in Windows 2003 with multiple
>> > clients connecting to server. In my application i would like to connect
>> > more
>> > than 1024 tcp/ip connections with the server. But when the connection
>> just
>> > exceeds 1024 i get enfile error in server. I tried changing the maximum
>> > number of connections using ERL_MAX_PORTS. I changed this using
>> > os:putenv("ERL_MAX_PORTS","value"). But even then i got enfile error.
>> > Then i
>> > changed the parameter TcpNumConnections (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System
>> > \CurrentControlSet \Services \Tcpip \Parameters) that limits the
>> maximum
>> > number of connections that TCP may have open simultaneously. After
>> changing
>> > this parameter also the server is unable to accept more than 1024
>> > connections and generates enfile error. Tell me what should be done to
>> > increase the number of tcp/ip connections with the server (more than
>> 1024).
>>
>> What kind of server is this? Windows, Linux, BSD, Solaris?
>>
>> There are usually settings for how many file descriptors one process may
>> open. These can also be changed for the user running the server process.
>> In some OS you also have a limits on sockets. This limit is however
>> still dependent on the number of fd:s.
>>
>> If you tell me what OS you are using I (or someone else) can probably
>> point you to the settings.
>>
>> > Thanks,
>> > Rani

>> Best Regards