[erlang-questions] Question concerning the use of -export

David King dking@REDACTED
Thu Jul 12 08:46:17 CEST 2007

> My question is this: why do ping/2 and pong/0 have to be exported?

ping/2 and pong/0 have to be exported because they are called from
within the erlang module.

erlang:spawn/3 is a BIF that ends up calling that function, and since
it's called from outside tut15, it has to be exported. Later in that
tutorial it mentions that you should differentiate these for
readability, like this:

% exports for external callers
-export([start/0]).

% exports for spawn