[erlang-questions] Erlang OTP design principle

Serge Aleynikov saleyn@REDACTED
Tue Jul 10 13:56:25 CEST 2007

There's a prim_inet:async_accept/2 function that does what you need:

{ok, Ref} = prim_inet:async_accept(Listen_socket, -1),

Here's a snippet from a non-blocking tcp gen_server that exploits this
feature:

init(Port, Module) ->
     process_flag(trap_exit, true),
     case gen_tcp:listen(Port, ?LISTEN_SOCK_OPTIONS) of
     {ok, Listen_socket} ->
         %%Create first accepting process
         {ok, Ref} = prim_inet:async_accept(Listen_socket, -1),
         {ok, #state{module=Module, listener=Listen_socket,
                     acceptor=Ref}};
     {error, Reason} ->
         {stop, Reason}
     end.

handle_info({inet_async, ListSock, Ref, {ok, CliSocket}},
#state{module=Module, listener=ListSock, acceptor=Ref} = State) ->
     %% New client connected
     {ok, Pid} = erlang:apply(Module, start_link, [CliSocket]),
     gen_tcp:controlling_process(CliSocket, Pid),
     %% Instruct the new TCP server that it owns the socket
     Pid ! socket_ready,
     {ok, NewRef} = prim_inet:async_accept(ListSock, -1),
     {noreply, State#state{acceptor=NewRef}};

handle_info({inet_async, ListSock, Ref, Error},
#state{listener=ListSock, acceptor=Ref} = State) ->
     error_logger:error_msg("Error in socket acceptor: ~p.
Retrying.\n", [Error]),
     {stop, {acceptor, Error}};