[erlang-questions] Priority queue

Paul Mineiro paul-trapexit@REDACTED
Fri Jul 6 18:16:41 CEST 2007

With just a binary model of priority (high, normal), you can already
achieve this with a selective receive and your own protocol.

loop () ->
  receive
    { high, Mesg } -> process_message (high, Mesg)
  after 0 ->
    receive
      { Prio, Mesg } -> process_message (Prio, Mesg)
    end
  end,
  loop ().

I agree it does get more interesting when there is a more granular
notion of priority.  For multiple levels of priority one could do nested
receives but it would get unwieldy, and for a continuous notion of
priority this definitely won't work.

-- p