[erlang-questions] Erlang vs. Haskell

Peter Ross pro@REDACTED
Tue Jul 3 00:09:10 CEST 2007

> On Jul 2, 2007, at 10:08 PM, David Mercer wrote:
>
> > I find myself writing real-time ("soft" real-time) communications
> > and data manipulation code a fair bit, and before I discovered
> > Erlang, I had written a whole set of concurrency and scheduling
> > libraries to assist me.  When I discovered Erlang, I thought I had
> > hit upon exactly what I needed (I wished I had known about Erlang
> > four years ago!).  I have

Haskell is a beautiful language, and I love its static typing, I would
certainly prefer to write a single-threaded program in it than erlang.
 It is also a lazy language so it can be difficult to reason about its
performance.

If you want a high-performance statically typed language, then you can
try Mercury (which is what I mainly use) or Ocaml.

However if my program has lots and lots of concurrency, then the
erlang vm is amazing, it is so scalable.  So if you have to write a
highly concurrent program, I would go for erlang.