[erlang-questions] Erlang vs. Haskell

David Mercer dmercer@REDACTED
Mon Jul 2 23:08:11 CEST 2007

I find myself writing real-time ("soft" real-time) communications and data
manipulation code a fair bit, and before I discovered Erlang, I had written
a whole set of concurrency and scheduling libraries to assist me.  When I
discovered Erlang, I thought I had hit upon exactly what I needed (I wished
I had known about Erlang four years ago!).  I have therefore started to
teach myself Erlang.

However, I was taken aback by the benchmark comparison
(http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all
<http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=ghc&lang2
=hipe> &lang=ghc&lang2=hipe), which shows Haskell to perform every bit as
well as Erlang.  Since Erlang and Haskell seem to have a lot in common, I am
now wondering if I should instead teach myself Haskell.  Now, granted, this
will be a biased group to ask, but I am curious as to what the Erlang
community's take on Haskell's apparent performance superiority is.  It seems
to me that Erlang as a language seems to fit very nicely into my needs, but
given Haskell's similarity and superior performance, does anyone have any
experience with both who could help me in my decision?

I have written some prototype modules in Erlang, but have never written
anything in Haskell, and am wondering whether to stop and play around with
Haskell some before I continue.  Please advise.  Thank-you.

David Mercer