[erlang-questions] erl -name doesn't work

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Fri Feb 23 07:54:25 CET 2007

David Tucker writes:
 > Aha.  So
 >
 >   http://www.erlang.org/doc/doc-5.5.3/erts-5.5.3/doc/html/erl.html
 >
 > says
 > that for -name, you have to specify
 > Name@REDACTED, which contradicts the example at
 > http://www.erlang.org/doc/doc-5.5.3/doc/reference_manual/distributed.html#11.2.
 > (Could someone correct the docs?)

I'm not sure the documentation is wrong:

   ~ >erl -name matthias
   Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.5.2 [source] [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

   Eshell V5.5.2  (abort with ^G)
   (matthias@REDACTED)1> init:script_id().
   {"OTP  APN 181 01","R11B"}
   (matthias@REDACTED)2>

 > Next question: in the absence of an fqdn for my computer, what should I
 > specify for the Host part?  An IP address doesn't seem to work.

Works for me:

   ~ >erl -name matthias@REDACTED
   Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.5.2 [source] [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

   Eshell V5.5.2  (abort with ^G)
   (matthias@REDACTED)1>

Looks like some more digging is needed. Is this a general problem on
Windows, i.e. do other people have the same problem? (I do not use
windows, I can't help)

Matthias