[erlang-questions] clarify: escaping strings in erl_scan:string / erl_parse:parse_term

Roberto Saccon rsaccon@REDACTED
Fri Dec 28 14:26:33 CET 2007

How do I escape strings  in Erlang before tokenizing / parsing with
erl_scan:string/1 and erl_parse:parse_term/1 ?

E.g. in the interactive Erlang shell I simply do:

1> {a_string, "foo(\"hi\")"}.
{a_string,"foo(\"hi\")"}

But if I try to do the same with erl_scan:string and
erl_parse:parse_term, it is tokenizing not as expected and parsing
gives an error:

2> {ok,Tokens,_}=erl_scan:string("{a_string, \"foo(\"hi\")\"}.").
{ok,[{'{',1},
     {atom,1,a_string},
     {',',1},
     {string,1,"foo("},
     {atom,1,hi},
     {string,1,")"},
     {'}',1},
     {dot,1}],
    1}
3> erl_parse:parse_term(Tokens).
{error,{1,erl_parse,["syntax error before: ","hi"]}}
4>

So what is the proper way to escape strings in this context ?

--
Roberto Saccon
http://rsaccon.com