[erlang-questions] Regular Expressions in Erlang

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Fri Dec 21 22:51:36 CET 2007

On 20/12/2007, Thomas Lindgren <thomasl_erlang@REDACTED> wrote:

> --- Robert Virding <rvirding@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> > On 20/12/2007, mats cronqvist
> > <mats.cronqvist@REDACTED> wrote:
> > >
> > >   rumour has it that robert virding is working on
> > a new erlang
> > > implementation; couldn't find any code by googling
> > though.
> >

> > Yes, I do have one that works but I haven't released
> > it yet. Some info:
>
> Sounds great, a big step forward, but as always some
> additional features may be desirable (sorry!):
>
> 1. Does it support efficient operation on
> strings-as-binaries in addition to lists? [major]

Yes, it works directly on binaries and is as efficient (inefficient) as
working on lists. Actually in R11 stepping down a binary was slightly slower
than stepping over  a list. I haven't measured yet in R12.

2. Are wide characters handled? [pretty useful too]

Well, yes, but probably not as you mean it. If you operate on a list then
your list can contain any size characters. It doesn't try to parse the
list/binary to build characters.

Actually depending on how you define your regular expression you can use it
on lists of anything.

Robert