[erlang-questions] Mnesia vs When Databases Lie: Consistency vs Availability in Distributed Systems

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Fri Dec 14 15:01:42 CET 2007

How does Erlang change or improve this situation?

http://tinyurl.com/2745ha

I can't imagine a fragmented Mnesia table would help here, not when
one chunk lives in Europe and another in the US.

I also imagine there would be significant costs in Transatlantic
replication (in terms of transaction time, not dollars) if a regular
distributed Mnesia table is used.

I want to dig deep into Mnesia for the corresponding chapter of my
book. I plan to try to figure out and write up the distributed commit
protocol, for example.

I think I'll also try to set up exactly the scenario that the above
article describes (two machines, multiple Mnesia nodes) and simulate
denial of service attacks, tripping over power cords, etc.

I want to know exactly how much network bandwidth is taken by
replication among other things and what exactly happens when I bring
up a Mnesia node that went down. There was a discussion of this
recently but nothing beats a step by step explanation.

	Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com