[erlang-questions] idea: Erlang FFI: callbacks and memory management

Bjorn Gustavsson <>
Wed Dec 12 12:19:02 CET 2007

Alceste Scalas <> writes:

> I think it depends on my previous questions: is it possible to execute
> an Erlang fun() from within a BIF, and get its return term?  How?

It is currently not possible to execute a fun from a BIF and return to the BIF.

There is, however, an internal mechanism to make a tail-recursive call
to Erlang code from a BIF. The called Erlang code could in turn make a call
to another BIF.

/Bjorn