[erlang-questions] clarify: Ericsson Erlang vision/strategy

mog mogorman@REDACTED
Tue Dec 11 17:34:51 CET 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 17:19 +0100, Andreas Hillqvist wrote:
> As far as I know, currently Ericsson maintain and develops Erlang/OTP.
> They have employee professional people that get payed to maintain and
> develops Erlang/OTP.
> But is there a risk that Erlang/OTP will be drooped in the future?
> If Ericsson's would drooped Erlang would the Erlang community sustain
> the quality of maintains and development of Erlang/OTP?

This uncertainty exists in all free software projects.  The developer or
in this case company could lose interest and leave the community holding
the bag.
However there is a fairly large install base and we could come together
and have a public repo and take over, the code appears to be well
commented and structured from what little I have read of it, I don't
think its worth wasting time worrying over.

Not to hijack the thread but it would be really nice and show faith in
the community if Ericsson moved to svn or some other version control
(git) that could be opened to the public, and hopefully eventually allow
for outside committers.

Mog