[erlang-questions] documentation of data structures

Matej Kosik kosik@REDACTED
Tue Dec 11 13:52:07 CET 2007

Lev Walkin wrote:
> Matej Kosik wrote:

> I am not sure what you mean and thus I cannot assess how useful such
> thing is.

> What do you mean by BIF approach?
>
> Mutable queues can be implemented via already existing Erlang
> constructs (spawn, send, receive etc).
>  No new primitive data-types or new primitive operations are needed to
> implement such queues whose
> operations for adding elements to head and tail have always O(1)
> complexity.
>
> The first step would be implementing a new data type: `cell' with
> operations such as
> - cell:empty/0 (create an empty cell)
> - cell:make/1 (create a cell with a given contents)
> - cell:get/1 (non-destructively get the contents of a cell. Block
> (or throw an error or some
> predefined value if it is empty)
> - cell:put/2 (destructively overwrite a cell with a given value)
> Basically, cell can be represented as a process that responds to
> proper messages. There can be
> wrapper procedures
> - cell:/isEmpty/1 returns true if a given cell is empty
>
> If you have cells, you can implement `queue item' as a triple composed
> from:
> - a cell containing a reference to the previous `queue item'
> - a cell containing a reference to the value of the current `queue
> item'
> - a cell containing a reference to the next `queue item'.
>
> If you have that, you can represent the whole queue as a couple
> composed from:
> - a cell containing a reference to the head
> - a cell containing a reference to the tail
>
> I did not implemented it in Erlang (because in Erlang I did not needed
> queues) but in a different
> language that had those immutable queues I droped them and
> reimplemented the queues as described
> above. I think this is reasonable approach if one do not need share
> queues among processes.
>
> If Erlang is implemented properly, this would be efficient despite the
> fact that there are many
> processes. Real measurements would either support or reject such
> hypothesis.
>
>> This design has the same drawback as ets: lots of copying [between
>> processes]. Consequently, a part of my email still applies:

Are you sure? When (in which kind of operation) would such copying (of what) be needed.

Sure, the cost of explicit copying of a queue instance has O(len(N)) complexity. But we were talking
about adding/removing elements at the head/tail of the queue.

> Regards

- --
Matej Kosik