[erlang-questions] documentation of data structures

Matej Kosik kosik@REDACTED
Tue Dec 11 08:56:45 CET 2007

Lev Walkin wrote:
> Matej Kosik wrote:
>>
>> Andras Georgy Bekes wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>>
>>> -queue: The doc doesn't say anything about the implementation, only:
>>> "implements FIFO queues in an efficient manner".
>>> It states that "all operations has an amortised O(1) running time",
>>> except for some, that are "probably O(n)". This is rather vague.
>>>

>> Check the implementation. You will reveal that the operations for
>> adding/removing elements from/to
>> the head/tail can have O(1) complexity in some cases but in some cases
>> they will have O(n) complexity.
>>
>> It would be particularly attractive, if someone implemented `queue'
>> (with the same signature and
>> semantics of operations) where those operations would have always O(1)
>> complexity. That is, as I
>> believe, impossible. Of course, queues can be implemented more
>> efficiently, but in a different
>> (non-functional-like) way.
>

> Okasaki shows a way to have a queue with O(1) worst-case complexity.
> However the constant factor is rather large. The queue ADT has O(1)
> amortized complexity. In addition to that, it has a rather small
> constant factor, so it'll be faster overall.

In non-functional programming languages (also in Erlang) similar data-structure can be implemented
with usual O(1) complexity without ``rather large'' constant factor. A different way of doing
similar thing but it has different properties.
- - it is more efficient
- - it is outside functional programming paradigm
  (no referential transparency, side effects etc.)
Such implementation can be done in Erlang too.

I am not sure whether I understand why the above approach was not taken in Erlang. If mutable queues
would be local to some process, no problems would arise. However, if one process wanted to pass a
queue to another process, then if they tried to use them concurrently, interference could occur.
With the original implementation, such interference is excluded. The penalty is that
- - it is not the most efficient possible implementation
- - equational reasoning cannot be applied
  (other, more complicated, proof-techniques are necessary)
A typical tradeoff.

However, if a queue would not be shared among processes than its mutable version would OK. Whouldn't it?
- --
Matej Kosik