[erlang-questions] Accents on Macosx 10.4.11

Philippe de Rochambeau phiroc@REDACTED
Tue Dec 11 00:15:27 CET 2007

Hi,

earlier today, I asked on this mailing list how you could make Erlang
correctly display strings containing foreign accents in your terminal
on macosx.

This evening, I found a solution after noticing Joe Armstrong's
remark on page 30 of "Programming Erlang":

"What has happened to "Håkan" -- where did he go? This actually has
nothing to do with Erlang but with the locale and character code
settings on your terminal"

Since, by default, all locale variables on Macosx are set to
"C" (type "locale" on the CLI), I set LANG as follows in my .bashrc
file:

export LANG=fr_FR.ISO8859-1

Next, I switched my Terminal's character set encoding to Western (iso-
latin-1). (In xterm, there no need to switch the character set as it
seems to be iso-latin-1 by default.)

Last, I type [72,229,107,97,110]. in erlang and, tadah,

  "Håkan" appeared in all his splendor.

phiroc