[erlang-questions] beginner: why are arrays zero-based?

Toby Thain toby@REDACTED
Thu Dec 6 22:12:59 CET 2007

On 6-Dec-07, at 5:18 PM, Michael Campbell wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2007 11:13 AM, Jonathan Amsterdam <jbamsterdam@REDACTED>
> wrote:
>> I'm an Erlang newbie, and very excited by the language.
>>
>> I have a lot of questions, but let me start with this timely one: why
>> are the new arrays in R12B zero-based?  I see in the source that the
>> author says it's a conscious design choice, but I don't see the
>> rationale, since everything else in the language seems to be 1-based.
>

> I can't let this go without forwarding a favorite quote... Apologies
> for the noise.
>
> "Should array indices start at 0 or 1? My compromise of 0.5 was
> rejected without, I thought, proper consideration." -- Stan
> Kelly-Bootle

Noise generated by the ever-pseudo-random SKB is often appreciated.

I refer interested readers to his "Computer Contradictionary" for
hours of pleasure (which contains this gem).
http://abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=computer
+contradictionary

--Toby