[erlang-questions] Using linked-in drivers to represent objects outside of Erlang

Thu Dec 6 09:40:00 CET 2007

That entirely depends on the number of objects.

Mapping a Port (driver instance) <=> Object is the straightforward way.
Just as Port <=> Socket. But there is a limited number of ports.
A program is supposed to have max a few hundred sockets, there
are OS limits for this. The emulator limits the number of ports,
I do not remember the limit but it is about ten to a hundred
thousand.

Port <=> Object also gives a nice and clean abstraction for communication
and such.

The footprint of a port instance is also probably about a kilobyte.
If you need more lightweight objects you need to have one port
handle several objects and use object handles.