[erlang-questions] Question about higher order function

Rick Pettit rpettit@REDACTED
Sat Dec 1 00:33:35 CET 2007

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 12:03:09PM -0800, David King wrote:
> >> Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong here or if Erlang is
> >> really so akward and clumsy why it is this way?
> > Not knowing a language and trying to learn it is OK - it's a very good
> > thing actually.
> > Not knowing a language and characterizing it with adjectives such as
> > "awkward", "clumsy" and "terrible" is not particularly constructive
> > in my opinion.
>
> He didn't say it *was*, he asked why this particular construct was,
> *if* indeed the way he found was the only one. That's a perfectly
> valid question.
>
> If someone asked why it's so awkward and clumsy to use mnesia to do
> something for which you should be using an RDBMS, the answer would be
> "because that's not what it's designed for. Here is what it does
> well, and here's why it's awkward to do that".

I agree with Kostis, the original posting didn't come across as particularly
constructive or polite.

Perhaps I misunderstood it. That, or it was just clumsily and awkwardly written.

-Rick