[erlang-questions] Strange meshing behavior between 3 machines

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@REDACTED
Thu Aug 30 06:56:10 CEST 2007

Here's the background:

Host A = Ubuntu 7.04 w/R11B-5
Host B = Ubuntu 7.05 w/R11B-5
Host C = MacOS X 10.4.10 w/R11B-4

As far as I know the patch level different shouldn't matter.

The .hosts.erlang file on each is as follows:

Host A:
    'B'.
    'C'.

Host B:
    'A'.
    'C'.

Host C:
    'A'.
    'B'.

Now here's where it gets interesting. I have the following set of VMs running:

    one@REDACTED
    two@REDACTED
    three@REDACTED
    four@REDACTED
    five@REDACTED

So far, so good, right? Each of these was started with 'erl -sname
one/two/three'. What's weird is the behavior of the meshing.

On host A, I see all 5 nodes. On host B, I see all 5 nodes. This is
verified with nodes/0, net_adm:world/0 and net_adm:names/0, which as
far as I know, feeds net_adm:world/0. That's as it should be.

The weird part is that on host C, I see weird things depending on what
command I use:

nodes/0: all nodes are seen
net_adm:names/0: all nodes are seen
net_adm:world/0: only sees one@REDACTED and two@REDACTED, but no other @C

If I run net_adm:world(verbose), it shows it's only pinging one@REDACTED and
two@REDACTED, even though net_adm:names/0 seems to see them all.

If I change the .hosts.erlang file on Host C to:

    'A'.
    'B'.
    'C'.

It works. This is a totally different behavior from hosts A and B. Any
thoughts on where this oddity is coming from? The machines all share a
private VMware network (vmnet1) on 172.16.170.x and have no firewalls
prohibiting them inside that network.

Chris