[erlang-questions] Cocoa IDE for Erlang (again)

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Wed Aug 29 20:50:02 CEST 2007

On 8/29/07, Joel Reymont <joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:

> I don't believe the parsing of the Erlang code in these two is done
> in Erlang. Distel is surely using Emacs Lisp and ErlIDE must be using
> Java.
>
> Actually, Erlide is using Erlang. Why write a scanner and aparser from
scratch when we have perfectly good tools at our disposal?

We are trying to move as much as possible of the functionality to the Erlang
side, leaving Java just as thin wrappers, possibly with some caching if
necessary. This is harder than it sounds, because Eclipse is so complex.
To this reason I implemented a way to call Java code from Erlang, so that
for example we can pass a progress monitor to a lengthy operation and have
it called from the Erlang code.

The biggest problem we have is the impedance mismatch between the natural
concurrency of an Erlang system and the relatively contrived use of
threading in a Java application with a GUI.

best regards,
Vlad