[erlang-questions] Fwd: Starting the Erlang VM in a new thread

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Wed Aug 29 16:58:43 CEST 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 3:48 PM, Ewan Higgs wrote:

>> You want to use Erlang as a shared memory system? If
> you want to implement an Intellisense system at the
> keystroke level, I think you should investigate some
> more optimal bookkeeping with the Erlang process
> rather than moving to a shared memory basis.

What I'm investigating is whether I can do _all the coding_ in
Erlang, with the exception of visualization. This could be done by
means of a Cocoa bridge.

To figure out what changed in the buffer I would need to do the
bookkeeping in Objective-C which I don't fancy.

> For example, you could limit the text sent as deltas
> rather than the full text each time. Since you're
> fairly proficient with Haskell, how about hijacking
> the darcs patch system and using that as the basis for
> your bookkeeping.

I don't see how this would work since I would need to apply the patch
on the receiving end and that code would need to be written in
Erlang. Then again, the hard part is figuring out the delta... It
could well work but then the IDE would need to be written in Haskell.

	Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com