[erlang-questions] Suitable applications for Erlang

shahzad bhatti bhatti_shahzad@REDACTED
Sun Aug 26 22:03:11 CEST 2007

I am looking at Erlang lately and like the support for distributed and concurrent applications. However, I have a question regarding kind of applications that Erlang is best suited for. Since, Erlang uses green threads for user processes (though it has SMP support), I am not sure if it is well suited for CPU intensive applications as opposd to I/O bound applications. For example, I have a system that calculates shortest path for a very large network and I would like to use distributed Erlang to divide the problem (using Google like map-reduce) and create a number of processes per node to calculate the shortest path for smaller network. From prior experience, I have found that for CPU bound applications work best when the number of threads is roughly equal to number of cores/CPUs, and I am concerned about excessive context switching and cache misses. Can someone share their Erlang experience with CPU bound problems.

Regards,
Shahzad Bhatti
Email: bhatti@REDACTED
YIM: bhatti_shahzad@REDACTED