[erlang-questions] (newbie) why do I see no output in the erlangshell?

Lennart Öhman <>
Sun Aug 26 19:48:57 CEST 2007

Welcome to Erlang,

If you look in the "Fine Manual", in the for this situation obviously
relevant section "getting started"  (sorry couldn't help it, just
slipped out :-) about the Erlang shell

you'll find the solution to your question.

Good luck

Lennart Öhman                   phone   : +46-8-587 623 27
Sjöland & Thyseliys Telecom AB  cellular: +46-70-552 6735
Hälsingegatan 43, 10th floor    fax     : +46-8-667 8230
SE-113 31 STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN     email   :

-----Original Message-----
From:  [mailto:] On Behalf Of
Sent: den 26 augusti 2007 18:12
Subject: [erlang-questions] (newbie) why do I see no output in the erlangshell?

Apologies if this has already been covered -- I would imagine that others
encounter this problem but I could not find the answer to this problem --
and thanks in advance for any help more experienced Erlangers can offer.

I am using Mac OS X (10.4) and I downloaded the tarballs of both the most
recent and second-most recent versions.

I did the configure && make &&
sudo make install dance (without passing them any options) and fired up erl.

And then, this:
$ erl
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.5.4 [source] [async-threads:0]
Eshell V5.5.4 (abort with ^G)
1> 1+1
1> 1

to everything I read, it should print "2" and then "1" after my two commands.

So what am I doing wrong here? I've RTFM'd and STFW'd to no avail. I really,
really want to start hacking away with this language. :(
erlang-questions mailing list