[erlang-questions] Spanking new neophyte seeks guidance

doug mansell doug.mansell@REDACTED
Fri Aug 24 08:53:39 CEST 2007

Hi Michael,

I had a similar feeling with Erlang when I started looking at it a
couple of years ago.

I read a lot but my learning accelerated when I took a problem domain
I was familiar with (DICOM decoding) and reimplemented my C++ library
in Erlang.  It was slow at first translating the imperative things,
but then you get the hang of it.  Some of the patterns and solutions I
came up with in Erlang then informed my third gen C# library.
Unexpected!  I write in a functional style as much as I can these
days.

That was a library, now I'm building a system with Mnesia and Orber
and learning about otp and applications and releases and all those
good things.

Lots of fun.  :)

Enjoy.