[erlang-questions] Using Soap

Willem de Jong w.a.de.jong@REDACTED
Wed Aug 22 18:33:24 CEST 2007

On 8/22/07, Kevin A. Smith <kevin@REDACTED> wrote:

> I have a need to write both a Soap client and server in Erlang. Being
> relatively new to Erlang and really new to Soap I have two questions:
>
> 1) How mature are the Soap libs? Any problems or gotchas I should be
> aware of?

The are 2 soap libs that I am aware of: yaws_soap_lib and erlsoap.

Both use Erlsom to parse the XML. I would like to think that Erlsom is
fairly mature, but the soap implementations are both limited in scope and
they could use some work. Still, depending on your needs, you may find them
quite useful.

Yaws_soap_lib uses yaws as the HTTP server; erlsoap uses inets.

Both include functions to build a client and a server (I haven't tried the
erlsoap client).

Both support soap over HTTP only.
Both support the 'document' binding style only
Both support the 'literal' encoding style only.
(Fortunately, SOAP over HTTP using document binding and literal encoding
seems to be the preferred flavour of SOAP nowadays.)

Yaws_soap_lib will accept a WSDL file as its configuration. Erlsoap will
accept the XSD only (so you have to extract this from the WSDL).

Erlsoap has no proper support for soap faults (this may not be
an issue, because you may not require it. In any case it should be easy
to fix this).

There may be more limitations that I am not aware of... It would be
interesting to know what your experiences are.

Regards,
Willem