[erlang-questions] Variable Name Capitalization

Robert Virding <>
Sat Aug 18 12:05:47 CEST 2007

I use different standards for atoms and variables:

In atoms I use_underscore to_separate_words because this is much easier to
to read and there is nu UC letter at the beginning anyway.

For variables I use capitalisation ToSeparateWords as there already IS an UC
letter at the beginning. BUT I very seldom use long variable names that are
more than one word. I find it much better, and more readable, to document
what the variable is for and use a short name.

This also makes it easier to see which are atoms and which are variables.

I don't know if there is an accepted "standard".