[erlang-questions] Parse-transforming !! to a function call

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Wed Aug 15 14:50:49 CEST 2007

yes indeed very easy !! needs a one line addition to erl_parse.yrl

Find erl_parse.yrl (in stdlib/src)

Look for a line  like this:

  expr_100 -> expr_150 '!' expr_100 : mkop('$1', '$2', '$3').

Then add the following

expr_100 -> expr_150 '!' '!' expr_100: {call, line('$1'),{atom,
line('$1'), rpc},['$1', '$4']}.

This turns all calls A !! B into rpc(A, B)

Build a new parser

> erlc erl_parse.yrl
> erlc erl_parse.erl

test with (for example)

-module(bang).

-compile(export_all).

test1() ->
    a !! b.

rpc(A, B) ->
    {hello, A, B}.

$erl
> c(bang).
> bang:test1()
{hello, a,b}

This way you can redefine !! as you please by using an appropriate
-import(xyz, [rpc/2]) in your code

*remember* !! is addictive - so don't forget to remove !! from programs you
distribute, since you need a non-standard parser to parse the sources.

(I guess we need a -use_parser(Mod) annotation in the code :-)

Question (to Joel) can't the entire Obj c interface be made dynamic using
obj_sendMsg???

The call [obj with:i str:@"abc"]

can be built dynamically using something like

int i;
NSString s;
i = 1234;
s = @"hello"
obj_sendMsg(obj, NSSelectorFromString(@"with:str:", &i, s)

and the type signature can be found introspectively - I think this is
how Fscript does it

Cheers

/Joe