[erlang-questions] "Erlang, the next Java"

Zac Brown zac@REDACTED
Fri Aug 10 16:39:53 CEST 2007

Well any server-client model could be thought of as object oriented, if
you're considering threading etc. Since you're spawning multiple
processes that do the same thing, its the same idea as having multiple
objects doing the same thing though I think creating a group of objects
in Java with the same kind of concurrency would be somewhat more
difficult. Either way I understand your reasoning and I would say that
concurrent programming in Erlang "resembles" object oriented programming
but isn't true object orientation in the Java/C++ sense.

My only other qualm with that article is (at least to me) the author
seemed to belittle the functional aspect of Erlang. I think thats
somewhat of a naive look at the language seeing as the functional aspect
is what helps make Erlang reliable. All the minimizing of most of the
side effects is an important trait in Erlang due to its functional
nature. I can see his point but I still think he counted that aspect of
the language a little too trivially.

Zac