[erlang-questions] lock-free hash table

Serge Aleynikov saleyn@REDACTED
Mon Aug 6 01:43:53 CEST 2007

There have been quite a number of publications on the subject of
lock-free data structures since around mid 90's, most notably by Maged
Michael (IBM) and Philippas Tsigas / Yi Zhang (Chambers University).
Here are some selected links:

http://erdani.org/publications/cuj-2004-12.pdf
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/sundell04scalable.html
http://www.noble-library.com/
http://research.sun.com/techrep/2002/abstract-110.html

The lock-free algorithms indeed perform exceptionally well in shared
memory concurrent systems with a large number of CPUs since they don't
require OS synchronization primitives (relying on a single instruction
such as compare-and-swap).  I also think that taking advantage of these
algorithms in Erlang's emulator would make it even more scalable on
large number of cores, especially if interfaces to ports (via shared
memory) and drivers (via lock-free FIFO circular queues) would offer
lock-free synchronization with emulator threads.

Serge