[erlang-questions] Stand Alone Erlang Still Updated?

Jim McCoy jim.mccoy@REDACTED
Thu Aug 2 20:46:07 CEST 2007

On 8/2/07, Hakan Mattsson <hakan@REDACTED> wrote:

> Even if it would be nice, I think that it is very hard
> to bundle the emulator with port programs, other priv
> dir stuff, heart, epmd etc. as one single executable.

Ouch.  I had forgotten about epmd; "distributed Erlang" will be a bit
harder, but there are platform-specific ways to create components like
this that could be shared across all locally-installed SAE
applications.  I guess the first step in such an effort should really
be trying to define the minimum set of components that are necessary
just to get the VM working in a manner that most people would expect.
CEAN and REPOS are probably the best examples I am aware of regarding
how far you can trim things and still get an Erlang program to run.

Drivers, port programs, and other non-core items will take more work,
but should be possible.

Jim